It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:30 am 

I'm quite curious seeing as you made this game in Ren'py and the screen size is wider and taller than the default screen size in Ren'py and I wanted to know as I really like the size and seem to be the perfect size for a Visual Novel (then again Fate/stay night had a different size and that was good also) and I don't exactly like the default size of Ren'py, as I'm trying to make my own VN, and was wondering if you could help with that regard?

Also I've been quite curious about the Main Character in the game. If I was given a choice I would be a Red-Coated Pegasus as oppose to a Brown-Coated Earth Pony, even if it makes sense storywise (the ending of the demo hints heavily what the MC is originally), but seeing that the player awakes in Equestria who isn't there an option to be either an Earth Pony, Pegasus, or Unicorn? It could provide a little more depth to the game as some characters like Twilight could mention working with you on spells if you're a Unicorn as oppose to being a chummy dialogue for friends to discuss about if you either an Earth or Pegasus pony.

If curious.

I know that the player can pick genders in the full game, though was there a reason why it wasn't present in the demo at least?

And after some different dialogue choices I realize that the character's Cutie Mark, I'm not sure if this is spoilers seeing as it's in the Demo but near the end of it so please forgive me but... why is his Cutie Mark a Question Mark of all things?

I would rather how the player at least imagine what their character looks like AND their Cutie Mark as oppose of telling the player what they look like, though I suppose it's a creative decision but I am curious to why.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 am 
Site Admin

I will have to ask our programmer about the first question, he knows better the system then I do.

We chose not to give the option of what type of pony you were mostly to make thing simpler for us to write. If we had all three, it would take longer for us to make each scene designed for all three races as we would have to include flying and magic into each scene. While it would make the game more diverse, we understand that we were making a long enough game as it was, so we went with earth pony out of a unanimous vote.

As for his cutie mark, it serves two purposes but those will be found in the story of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 am 

Alright, I guess I could understand your thoughts on race choice, though have you played the MLP Visual Novel "Welcome to Ponyville"? They manage to include race option and the scene don't change that much and the dialogue is different depending on race not that much.

Though after everything is said and done with the game, do you think you would go back and include it for fans who want to play as a Pegasus or Unicorn? Just curious.

So the Cutie Mark serves a purpose based on its design than, will we see a full body shot of both male and female pony with their Cutie Mark visible?

Well I hope you have an update of your game soon, I look forward to the next part! One more question though, are all the music in the game originally composed for the game?

That is all. I await an answer for my first question.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

The screen size of the game is 960x540, aka q(uarter)HD. I chose this size since it's pretty close to the 800x600 default, just 16:9 widescreen. Why widescreen? Well, except for the fact that 4:3 went out of date years ago, the four-legged ponies are much wider and shorter in proportions compared to bipedal humans, so they fit better on a wider screen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:01 pm 

Chris, if you go to their facebook page you can catch an image of the MMC and FMC with full body shots. Also, there's a picture of the MMC on the character page of the main site...just enlarge the face shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:35 am 

Bjorn wrote:
The screen size of the game is 960x540, aka q(uarter)HD. I chose this size since it's pretty close to the 800x600 default, just 16:9 widescreen. Why widescreen? Well, except for the fact that 4:3 went out of date years ago, the four-legged ponies are much wider and shorter in proportions compared to bipedal humans, so they fit better on a wider screen.

Oh I see, so how did you change it to a 16:9 widescreen by chance? I've set it up to 960x540 yet it looks NOTHING look your game's screen size which confused me and I was thinking I was missing something.

Like I said I'm making my own MLP Visual Novel (I did, right? Didn't check my first post) and considering the characters' body types the screen's layout is perfect and wanted to get it like "Welcome to Ponyville" and "Pony Amnesia: Love and Mystery".

Erebus wrote:
Chris, if you go to their facebook page you can catch an image of the MMC and FMC with full body shots. Also, there's a picture of the MMC on the character page of the main site...just enlarge the face shot.

I did not know that, thanks for sharing that!

Now I wait for my music question to be answer, but I think it's all originally composed to the game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 am 

Sorry to bump this old post, but I'm tweaking around with my Ren'py Visual Novel and set the screen size of my game to:

config.screen_width = 1280
config.screen_height = 720

Yet my screen is smaller than yours, here's what I mean:

My game is the one called "Test Game" obviously and the MLP Visual Novel is the one behind it to show the difference between the screen sizes of our game and I was wondering why there's such a situation like this.

Does changing the box sizes of the options and the font size also affect this? I like to know so I can have an HD Visual Novel game as well... though I'm still going to go team hunting later once I have everything in order.

EDIT: Nevermind! Someone helped me out... apparently I had to click on "Windows" in the Preference menu to fix my issue which amazingly fixed my screen size and got the window I wanted.

Sorry for bothering you guys again about this, but thanks for what you've done for me so far. ^_^

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]